I've been tagged by DooDaddy, so I've gotta do stuff. This time I will also perform an amazing trick of tagging others, unlike my last attempt when I was a blogging virgin and tagged no-one.
1. What were you doing ten years ago?
- 10 years ago I was 3 months shy of (re)meeting my girlfriend, now my wife. I was single(most of the time), and enjoying it.
- I was just back from a great summer spent in the United States where upon hearing I was from Ireland, one extremely wealthy lady asked me if I had ever seen a real cow.
- I was contemplating whether to continue into my 3rd year at college or not, stupidly, I did.
- I was still a teenager...for 2 further days.
2. What were you doing one year ago?
- I was busting my ass on a project that required too much time away from home, which continued until the end of July this year.
- I was not even entertaining the idea of starting a family.
- I had not even entertained the idea of moving, buying and selling homes.
3. What are five snacks you enjoy?
- Pineapple, love it, love it, love it. In fact, any or all fruit.
- Crisps, (potato chips) pretty much any kind, anywhere, this is a serious addiction, I have to actively ensure they do not get into our house.
- Bitterballen ! a Dutch speciality, usually provided during a 'borrel' (after work drinks). Mashed potato, perhaps with mashed vegetable and some 'meat' (I wanna say beef here but...), in a ball covered in breadcrumbs and deepfried. Served with a mustard and/or sweet chilli dip. Hugely unhealthy but what the hell, it's Friday...
- That's it... I try not to 'snack', I stick to fruit and juices in a feeble attempt to get the vitamins I need and stave off the onslaught middle aged chubbiness that's hurtling towards me.
4. What are five songs you know the lyrics to?Just FIVE? Bugger. I've estimated based on my collection, frequency of listening, factoring in old age and forgetfullness, that I probably could give you 95% of the lyrics to anywhere between 6-8 thousand songs. So you can sample 5 of my current (mood, season, breakfast all helping define 'current') favourites. I encourage you to listen. Not for the chronically depressed...
- Jolene by Ray Lamontagne. Tremendous voice from a wonderfully soft spoken man.
- "I still don't know what love means"
- The Blower's Daughter by Damien Rice. In truth I could have picked almost any track from his albumn 'O'.
- "And so it is, just like you said it would be, life goes easy on me, most of the time"
- Girl in the war by Josh Ritter. Quickly becoming the closest thing I've seen to Bob Dylan.
- "I got a girl in the war boy the only thing I know to do, is turn up the music and pray that she makes it through"
- Tamacun by Rodrigo y Gabriella. So much talent and so much fun, I'm looking forward to their show in Amsterdam in December. (easy know the lyrics when there are none eh?)
- "Doo Di Di Diddle Di Doo Doo"
- Goodbye by Steve Earle and/or the Emmylou Harris version, so you get one where they duet. Send shivers up and down my spine.
- "Was I off somewhere, or maybe just too high, but I can't remember, if we said goodbye"
- Work on getting a 2nd million, I've already done the math, 2 million euro is what we would need to not have a care in the world for as long as we live.
- No big houses for mama, but I would clear my siblings debts.
- Set aside 52K so I could randomly hand out a grand to strangers that I think could do with some good news once a week for a year.
- Pay some magic man to get us f%^$ing pregnant !
- Then I'd do that 9 times over again, It's a shame that financial constraits restrict the family that one can have.
6. Five Bad Habits
- Not knowing when to shut up.
- Offering advice even after I've said I'll stop.
- I bite my nails.
- Not always speaking up when I should.
- Justifying my inaction.
7. Five Things You Like To Do
- Seriously, what did you think was going to go here? Horizontal Jogging, one can get quite accustomed to frequent squelchy sessions.
- See some live music, paradiso Amsterdam being simply the ultimate venue.
- Visiting places steeped in History, Istanbul, Egypt, Paris, London, New York, Memphis, New Orleans.... Facinating.
- In true Irish tradition, socialise, I feel quite empty should I not get together with a group of friends for dinner or drinks, or preferably both on a weekly basis.
- Read, 2 areas, city histories and life accounts during certain periods, and parenting stories, i.e you lot.
8. Five Things You Would Never Wear
- Leather Trousers
- String Vest
- A ponytail
- A frown ! - awwwww cute eh?
9. Five Favorite Toys
This is gonna be tough, I like my gadgets but I've never been a real toy guy
- My Canon EOS 350D, if only I had the skill to capture the shots that I have in my minds eye.
- My Sony Vaio, I was originally sceptical, but having one forced upon me by work has melted my heart. I love it.
- The tiny hand made teddy bear that is sitting in a store in a beach side town here nearby, I hope to have a reason to bring it home soon.
10. Five Things You Hate To Do
As I don't have 5 toys you can have a couple extra of these...
- Sulk & see others sulk
- Wallow in self pity & see others do the same
- Attempt to sleep at night when it's bright outside
- Answer the phone late at night or early morning, it's always bad news
- See people cry, it kills me.
- Overpay when I KNOW I could get it cheaper if I just waited.
- Struggle with my Dutch, even more embarassing when it's while talking to a kid.
Go forth and multiply.