Thursday 5 August 2010

Toothy opera & the novelty brunette

There she is, sitting in her chair, feet flat on the fl0or beneath her.

Her cheek and arm meet at a 45 degree angled chubby flesh sandwich. I can't tell which is resting on which.

She hums open mouthed songs to herself. The only interruption to her mini operatics comes as she stops to run her tongue forwards and backwards over the two teeth starting to jut out from the centre of her bottom gum.

Teeth!

I wonder what's going through her mind as she fingers the curls behind her ear with her free hand. Maybe she's thinking about all the little boys and girls at her new day care who stroke her arm, fascinated by her mop of dark hair, here in this land of the blonde follicles.

Day care!

Maybe she's contemplating the fact that this is our first official 'Papa dag', where my mobile can ring and ring but I don't have to pick it up.

Maybe, just maybe, this little girl, who I struggle to call a baby now, is filling her nappy.

10 comments:

Mwa said...

I'm suspecting you of an all-encompassing love there, Xbox. Better watch out.

I love it when they go bright red and you just know they're doing a poo.

Ms. Moon said...

Pictures, please. Not of poo, either. We know what that looks like.

areyoukiddingme said...

Probably that last one...

We are all fascinated by her mop of dark hair. Congratulations on teeth...only 2 more years before they're all in.

Enjoy your first official "Papa dag"

Veronica Foale said...

Teeth. Let's not talk about teeth. Ugh.

Ro said...

Wait til she's got that concentrating look on her face and is staring into the middle distance.
Then you have 2.3 seconds to get the wipes and clean nappy ready before she decides she's uncomfortable ;)

River said...

Teeth!! Already!! Wow, time is flying by.

steph said...

"All I want for Christmas is my..." ;-)

Unknown said...

Have you had the food all over the kitchen thing yet? The crayons all along the wall or the 'Sudocrem' is so tactile moment?

I so hope you do, this parenting job is going waaaaay too smoothly for you.

People in the Sun said...

I don't remember that age. It's crazy, actually, but I don't remember the age when you can see them thinking but you can't tell what's going on. Maybe it's for the best, because I'm about to experience it again.

Martin said...

@Mwa - You got it

@Ms. Moon - Can't make any promises!

@areyoukiddingme - :-)

@Veronica - hahaha

@Ro - shes at that already!

@River - just short of 6 months now!

@steph - In my head now!

@Irritatingly Optimistic - she doesn't even make much of a mess spoon feeding!

@People in the Sun - I feel like I've been watching this forever.