Friday 25 June 2010

Jiggety jig

Home again, home again.

The silence has been thankfully shattered, and the blue-grey hue of an empty house has been replaced with a noisy technicolour racket.

My long standing belief that airplanes are several notches higher on the ‘germ spreading’ scale than say, being licked by an arse-picking tramp on the floor of a public toilet, has again been proven true. Mango’s snuffling, spluttering and coughing is evidence enough.

So while we hope it passes fast I’m just glad she came home.

Sometimes they don’t. Sometimes that blue-grey hue remains. Sometimes children leave their homes and never come back.

I was unsettled enough over three days to get an inkling of how shattering and traumatic it would be to be facing never seeing or hearing your child at home ever again.

That’s just one of the reasons why, in just over a week, I will join dozens of others in England to walk the width of the country along the Hadrian’s walk trail in support of the Joseph Salmon trust.
The trust offers financial support to families who have lost children, giving them a little breathing space during the lowest point imaginable.

I’m delighted with what has been raised so far, both through here, and in total. An overall target of 20,000 pounds is very achievable if people continue to give whatever they can, or spread the word in whatever way they can. A sugar daddy, or mammy, who craves a warm fuzzy feeling can get a quick fix by dropping a couple of (or twenty) grand into the pot.

It’s been nearly two weeks since I’ve raised a single penny, fancy being my hero and helping out here?



10 comments:

Blues said...

I'll stick with the airplanes. Call me crazy, but I think I'm allergic to tranny lickage.

Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] said...

You?

Are crazy.

And a very good friend.

Veronica Foale said...

That is why I both avoid flying and being licked by homeless people.

Good luck!

River said...

I'd love to donate, but I'm just unable to.
Hope Mango gets well really fast.

Geri Atric said...

A worthy cause Martin and good luck to you on your walk.
Hope Mango's sniffles are over soon.
(Can't get the image of that tramp out of my mind now.....bedankt!!).

Unknown said...

Thanks! Now I have 'Dominic the Donkey" in my head...jiggity jig heehaw heehaw.

I know what you mean. Somehow being a parent makes losing a child in any kind of circumstance a dreaded thought.

Amanda Bowden said...

I lost my daughter when she was 8 days old. My heart breaks for anyone who loses a child.

Get better soon Mango!

James (SeattleDad) said...

I do hope she is feeling better soon.

Sounds like the fundraising for the walk has been extremely successful.

Kudos to all of you who are participating.

Spencer Park said...

I hope that she is feeling better soon.

And that you aren't feeling too bad after the big walk!

Martin said...

@Blues - prude!

@Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] - craziness is relative

@Veronica - thanks!

@River - absolutely not a problem River.

@Geri Atric - :-) thanks!

@Irritatingly Optimistic - jiggety jig indeed

@Amanda Bowden - unimaginable, thank you.

@James (SeattleDad) - it's getting there, a little more to go!

@Spencer Park - Cheers!